Soaking up the sun? Yes, please – but not without UV protection. Here is the best sunscreen guide for everyday use!
Leave nothing to burn! The latest skincare formulas have sophisticated protection technology and anti-aging substances making them a great product all around. Grab your favorite sunscreen and enjoy the sun without hiding in the shade.
The right sun protection level is the most important thing! The SPF number tells you how long the sun’s UV radiation would take to burn your skin when applying the sunscreen as instructed compared to the amount of time without any sunscreen on. For example, SPF 30 means that after applying the product it would take you 30 minutes longer to get burnt than if you hadn’t applied any product on your skin.
Warning: A healthy amount of sun exposure and tanning time is not extended when reapplying the cream!
Good to Know
Basic Info: On very sunny days, you are on the safe side when using a sunscreen with sun protection level 50. Since the sun protection factor only draws attention to UV-B rays, you should make sure that the abbreviation UV-A is also written on the packaging. These long-wave rays are not quite as aggressive as the short-wave UV-B radiation, which quickly tans the skin. They penetrate deeper into the skin and, if ignored, can cause long-term damage such as hyperpigmentation and faster aging.
Fun Fact: In the summer, it’s best to apply lotion to your entire body, because your clothes only provide limited protection. A cotton dress, for example, has a sun protection factor of less than 10.
Step by step: The basic rule for a morning beauty routine is to always use the lighter products first and the richer creams last. In other words, apply a serum first after cleansing. Continue with a day cream. Then comes the UV protection, and lastly make-up! Many day creams and foundations already contain light protection, but this is usually not very high and only withstands heat and sweat for a short time. If you want to be on the safer side, it’s better to use a proper sunscreen for longer outdoor activities.
After-Sun Care: In the evening, be sure to cleanse your skin so that your pores can breathe again. After sizzling in the sun, your skin is more irritated than usual, so it is best to shower with lukewarm water and then use a mild cleanser or a special after-sun cleanser. After that, the skin is ready for an extra portion of care. Depending on your preferences, use cooling after-sun gels, aloe vera creams or light body lotions.
Dark Spots: If you are in the sun for a longer period of time, you should avoid putting on makeup as much as possible. Decorative cosmetics often contain chemicals or additives that can cause pigment spots. Fine glitter particles in blush and shadows can cause increased reflection and hyperpigmentation. But don’t panic if spots do appear. Your dermatologist can prescribe special lightening creams or put an end to stubborn spots with laser treatment.
Shelf Life: If your sunscreen has been neglected in your cabinet, or lost somewhere on your balcony, it is definitely a no-go. The changing temperature throughout the year doesn’t do any good for these types of products. The water and fat separates and it creates a strange texture and smell. Good news — if a purchased product has wintered in the bathroom and is unopened, it is still usable. However, after the first use the textures are usually durable for 12 months.
Type: Sun Lover
Dark complexion without regrets? No problem: These new products keep out all harmful rays, take care of the skin and even boost tan production at the same time.
- Fine tuning! The “Sun Cream Body SPF 30” premium cream from V. SUN gives an even tan, nourishes the skin with shea butter and aloe vera and smells deliciously of vanilla and white flowers. RRP: approx. 15 €
- Natural Glow! The “BB Beauty Gel SPF 30” from Skinnies conjures up an even and lightly tanned complexion thanks to the pigment it contains. The waterless gel has a high level of sun protection while avoiding all harmful ingredients. RRP: approx. 43 €
- Oil care! The “Body & Hair High Protection Sun Mist SPF 30” by Skinvisibles provides hair and skin with nourishing ingredients and ensures a beautiful tan. RRP: approx. 36 €
Here are the best products for a light beauty lover. With oil-free formulas, gentle textures and extra high sun protection levels, you are perfectly taken care of.
- Protective shield! Ultrasun’s “Body Mineral SPF 50” emulsion wards off all negative sun effects and is perfect for hypersensitive skin types prone to sun allergies. The fast-absorbing, non-greasy and non-sticky treatment relies on mineral power in the sun. RRP: approx. 25 €
- All-rounder! The “UV Plus Anti-Pollution SPF 50” gel cream from Clarins provides 5-dimensional protection against UV radiation, blue light, pollen exposure and air pollution. The lightweight gel-cream is quickly absorbed and strengthens the skin’s own defense system with the power of mango leaf extract. RRP: approx. 57 €
- Water dispenser! The “Hyaluron Sun Care Body SPF 50” by Medipharma Cosmetics intensively moisturizes and regenerates the skin while sunbathing. RRP: approx. 27 €
Type: Water Lover
And action! For people engaged in sweaty workouts in and around the water, waterproof UV blockers are a must-have. These products are absorbed in no time at all and don’t stick – perfect for impatient people and fitness junkies who can’t stand being in the shade.
- Ocean friendly! The “Protection Sunscreen Balm SPF 30” by FLORA MARE protects with a fast-absorbing, fragrance-free and waterproof texture. The vegan protection exemplary renounces nano-filters, microplastics, silicones, parabens and mineral oils. RRP: approx. 20 €
- Protection on the go! The “Protection Clear Suncare Stick 50+” from Shiseido specifically in the handy stick format is waterproof and also shows the UVA / UVB rays and its limits during sweat attacks. RRP: approx. 34 €
- Safe at the push of a button! The “Invisible Mist SPF 30” by Skinvisibles with algae extract is perfect for quick application because the ultra-light and invisible sunscreen spray provides protection power in an instant with a spray puff. RRP: approx. 30 €
Translated and edited by April Verite.
Skinvisibles Invisible Mist€30.00
FLORA MARE Protection SonnenschutzbalsamProduct on sale
Shiseido Schutz Clear Suncare Stick€34.00
Medipharma Cosmetics Hyaluron Sonnenpflege KörperProduct on sale
Clarins UV Plus Anti-Pollution Translucent€57.00
Ultrasun Body Mineral€25.00
MASSADA Sun Protection Body and Sun Mist€36.00
Skinnies Looks BeautygelProduct on sale
V.SUN Suncream LSF30€15.00